The First Day.

Today, Tessa and I drove around the 10,000 acres and cleaned out all of the water troughs for the sheep.  Apparently they are very fussy about the cleanliness of water they drink.  The sheep won’t put thier noses in if there is a layer of dust on top of the water.

As we were driving through, we stopped at a paddock that had a very skinny, sickly looking mob.  We found three dead.  They had gotten into a grain silo and basically eaten food that would give them a bloated tummy.  Some can survive eating the stuff but most die (I have had to keep an eye on Wuzza since we got the pig as his food is deadly to Wuz).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We found one little lamb who was not yet dead, it’s eyes were closed and it was crying quietly in pain.  I stroked her face and pet her body while Tessa went to get a hammer.  Oh, my god…it’s so brutal to kill them like that (I can’t imagine I’ll be used to it for some time).  She said I could go wait by the truck if I wanted, so I took a few steps away and tried to distract myself with the scenery.  Unfortunately I was still within ear shot and could hear her hitting it’s skull.  3x.  When I walked back shortly afterward the thing was still breathing.  My chest was closed tight in a sympathetic sort of suffering for her.  She was dead.  We tied her by the legs with rope and added the others to be drug away from the water and into the bush.  Tessa is an animal lover like me, and said that it has taken her years to harden herself when it comes to putting the sheep out of their misery.

Mike and Brian did man things.

I don’t have any photos from today’s work, however Tessa did show me some of these flowers while we were working, which I convinced Mike to drive with me this evening to see, and photograph.

We also saw 3 tawny frogmouth on our way back from Eneabba, and if you don’t know what it is…look it up on google.   Seriously cool.

The cockatoos; I photographed last night before a huge lightning storm rolled in.  We sat on the front porch for a while and watched it in the dark.  Which, I personally think is much more interesting than TV.


4 thoughts on “The First Day.

  1. Oh sounds like a rough first day, emotionally anyway. That’s one aspect of farming that was not cool. 😦

    The tawny frogmouth’s are seriously cool At first I was expecting a frog and thought, what the heck is that?

    It’s so pretty there!


  2. It was amazing for me, seeing where meat comes from, life and death, made me respect it more. Without becoming a vegetarian. lol Though I don’t think I could ever get used to the sound of a hammer on a skull, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

    Your place looks awesome re previous post. And I totally agree thunderstorms are way better then TV!


Let me know your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s