You could use that term in a rather humorous way if you found your partner to be particularly clingy…however, I’m quite pleased to say I’m using the term very literally.
Several weeks ago I was lured to a website called: www.abeego.com
I’m not sure if it was fate, random clicking, a shared interest in sustainability, or all of the above that led me to discover their environmentally friendly food storage options. I contacted the owners with a few questions and immediately had a response. Here is what I learned:
- The product is strong, and is 100% biodegradable
- Lasts up to 1 year, then you can chuck it straight into the compost
- Is all natural, made of beeswax and a blend of organic cotton and hemp fabric
- Easy to care for: hand wash with cold water and environmentally sound soap for reuse
- There are multiple sizes for a variety of uses, so essentially nothing is too big to cover!
As soon as I received some samples last week, I tore the package open and held the waxed hemp fabric in my hands. It is lovely to behold, and has a distinct smell of beeswax that is actually quite pleasant. Mike was home when I opened the goods and so he too was handling and smelling the product.
Immediately I took a piece and wrapped some fresh mozzarella in it. I also took a chunk of onion, and zucchini and wrapped them separately.
Throughout the week, I’ve used these items while cooking and here is what I’ve found:
- My mozzarella has retained it’s perfect scent and moisture…absolutely no issues there.
- My zucchini was still very moist and mould free where as the piece I left unsealed in the fridge was mouldy and dry.
- The potent onion, also retained it’s moisture and scent.
- None of these items smelled like beeswax, even the delicate mozzarella.
- Even more impressive, the stinky onion did not fuze it’s strong odour to the fabric.
- It was very easy to wrap and unwrap the items. I am the worlds least fussy gift wrapper, and this product does it’s job even if you don’t make it look pretty.
I am really excited to stop using plastic to wrap our food, and feel really good that we’ve got a product here that we can use again and again…I’ve got peace of mind knowing it’s not going to harm the environment when we’re through using it. In fact it will give back. I’ll be ordering some large sheets in the very near future.
Many thanks to Abeego for creating such a thoughtful product!
If you’re interested in learning a little bit more about how much we use and waste as a society, please take a look at this really helpful video:
See if it doesn’t worry you… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GorqroigqM