We’ve just finished a really great visit with our friends Ashley and Emma. They stayed with us for 5 nights and in that time we managed to cram in a tonne of activities. Ashley was a neighbour of ours when we lived in Eneabba. His farm was about 5 km from our home and we often spent time together. He and Emma were just beginning to date when we met, and now have become married and are on their honeymoon. Seeing them here in New Zealand feels quite surreal.
Some of the local activities we got into:
- Glow worms in the Pohongina Ranges (my first time too – they were really beautiful).
- Blueberry Picking in Ashurst
- Mike and Ashley went for a wild boar hunt, and were successful – they also got a deer and were very stoked with the result. Those animals were brought back to our friends farm for processing.
- Hanging out at the Esplanade in the city and along the river
- The Fielding Market and Livestock sales
- Mount Bruce – to see eels, kiwi, kaka and other beautiful native birds
- A small cheese farm where we met a lady who won some impressive awards for her rare raw cheese (apparently a cheddar – but not called that because it’s not from the place called Cheddar). Who knew cheese was so exclusive!
We thoroughly enjoyed spending these past 6 days with our friends and wish them the best time during this next leg of their journey through New Zealand.
We were very sad to see them go this morning, but know soon enough we’ll be in each others company again.